Shabby Blogs Background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dupatta Dress/Top

This kaftan gown is one of my favorite piece of clothing. I love to wear this loose fitting silhouette while lounging at home. This kaftan is one-size fits all and extremely comfortable. For my  Recycle and Reuse series, I decided to make a trendy version of this kaftan with an old dupatta as my main fabric.


For those unfamiliar with dupattas, here is a little bit of info. They are long scarves or stoles worn mostly by the South-Asian women over the traditional Salwar Kameez. It  measures any where between 3-5 yards in length and is available in variety of fabrics, colors and textures. It can be draped over the shoulder or across the chest. It is a very versatile piece of fabric and can be used to dress up or dress down your look. Below is the picture of my old dupatta. As you can see it is in perfect condition. I have not used it that often. I love the print of royal blue paisleys on it and knew if I cut it the right way I could get the look I want.


I made a paper pattern by tracing the kaftan. To really make it trendy I shortened the length of the dress/top and kept it knee length. I also changed the neckline from V to bateau and curved it up a little bit. It took me less than a day to finish the dress and just for fun I came up with these three looks.

For the first look, I paired it up with some skinnies and brown heeled pumps.


For the second look, I paired it with some knee length, black boots.


For the final look, I wanted a summery feel so I just matched it with jeans peep toe wedges.


The cost of this project as usual is zero and fortunately for me, I already had the accessories and shoes and as such did not spend a dime on them.

So what did you think of this project? I would love to have some feedback. Let me know which look you liked the best?

8 comments:

  1. awesome yaar!!!!!good going!!! i have so many good dupatta's ;):P but i am bad at stitching :|:|

    btw, u look hot chic ;);)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thks saba for ur lovely comments. I know Dupattas never get worn out. At least now you have an option of turning it into an outfit.TC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first and third.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely... can't wait to try it out.. it would be a great help if you could do some more things with dupattas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Is it possible to repurpose churidars?

    ReplyDelete
  6. blog has always attracted me and this particular post left me speechless. It is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen. Good job.
    Thanks

    Batik Dupatta

    ReplyDelete