Shabby Blogs Background

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Floral Refrigerator Magnet

Who doesn't have CDs, DVDs & other discs lying around at home? I know I have. Dozens of them!! Infact when my DH was about to trash some of them, I told him to hold on. I knew I could reuse them in some way. I had some fabric flowers at home and had no use for them. So I came up with the idea to combine the flowers and the discs and create the Floral Refrigerator Magnet.

The first thing I did was to remove all the flowers from the stems.


As you can see below, I cut the flowers further and divided them into single petals. Flowers like sunflower & pansies are perfect for this project.




One by one I glued the petals on the top of the disc. You can use tacky glue or any other kind of permanent glue. I worked with the sunflower petals. My daughter used the cut-up pansies.




I cut out a small, circular felt of matching color and glued that to the center.


On the back of the disc I glued two pieces of magnetic strips. I took these strips from an old mini calender. 



Here it is, a final look. They complement my black refrigerator perfectly. Reminds me of Spring with flowers blooming everywhere.




Note: Except for the glue, everything I used was either old or something I that I had no use for. This a  fun project for the kids. Its super easy and quick. My 9 yr old had such a great time making this, that she wanted to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment